I was in the mood for almond cookies and thought of making a low carb Amaretti. Typically in my italian family you would see amaretti cookies on special occasions such as a wedding, baptism or other traditional parties or celebrations. I decided I would make them to enjoy and to also use in a keto tiramisu dessert instead of using Lady Fingers which are full of sugar.
This amaretti recipe is so simple and easy to make with only 4 ingredients. The only time consuming part is the wait time because they have to sit for 2 hours on the baking sheet before placing them in the oven for 30 minutes at 300.
Check out the video below to see how I made them. Full recipe is below the video.
Low Carb Amaretti Recipe
Low Carb Amaretti Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups of blanched almond flour
- 1 cup Powdered erythritol/stevia blend or your favourite sweetener original recipe in the video used 1 1/4 cup of sweetener, however over time I prefer the cookies to be a little less sweet and now only use 1 cup of sweetener
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp of Almond Extract
- Sift together the almond flour and sweetener, I mix them in a large bowl with a whisk.
- Mix the egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form
- Fold in the egg whites into the almond/erythritol mix, mixing in until all combined.
- Once combined use a cookie scoop to scoop out and place on parchment lined cookie sheet
- Let sit for 2 hours
- Place in preheated over at 300 for 30 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.
Have a look at my Keto Tiramisu recipe which uses these amaretti cookies instead of lady fingers.
These cookies can also be used for many different recipes that require a crust such as cheesecake. Instead of using graham crackers you can have an almond crust withe these cookies instead.
Want to make it a full italian meal? Why not try this low carb Cacio e Pepe?